Manga Manga Manga...
I must admit I'm not at all into manga. In fact I don't think I've so much as picked up a manga title and flipped through it. But I still got up early to go the 8 a.m. session with TokyoPop's Jeremy Ross--I even turned off a quite good-though-predictable Kevin Costner movie and put off eating breakfast. (I am a big fan of breakfast and a medium fan of Kevin Costner.)
I was really blown away about some of the stats given during this presentation. So here is a list of some of the things I learned, many of which surprised me. (I'm also a big fan of bulleted lists):
- Manga is the fastest growing publishing category and is a $300 million industry.
- 40% of all publishing in Japan is manga--it's read by all ages and covers an array of subjects.
- 70% of U.S. manga readers are age 13-19; 60-70% of them are female.
- TokyoPop makes up 52% of the U.S. manga market share.
- There are 61,331,000 teens in the U.S.
Number of times I typed the word mango while writing this entry: a bunch