Sunday, August 06, 2006

Justina Chen Headley...

I was having trouble deciding which morning breakout session to attend and I'm really glad I decided on Justina Chen Headley's Channeling You Inner Teen. I'd attended a number of great presentations that were funny and engaging (Mo, Jarrett, Candie); Tina's session was emotionally engaging.

She talked about pathos and heart. She talked about life lessons and desires. She asked writers to think about the greatest fears of their characters and themselves, as well as the worst possible moments. She advised writers to ask tough questions about their characters. Just like Candie Moonshower, Tina said she doesn't believe in writer's block; writers aren't blocked, they just lose their way, forget what their characters are about.

I held back tears no fewer than a dozen times during this session. This was particularly difficult as Tina read passages from K.L. Going's Fat Kid Rules the World and Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak. I have not yet read Nothing But the Truth (and a Few White Lies), the debut novel by Justina Chen Headley, but I'm adding it to my bookstore shopping list for tomorrow.

If there's one thing this conference must inspire every budding writer to do, it's read.

No comments: