Here are a few things I learned about Elise Primavera and her work:
- This picture book author/illustrator, famous for Auntie Claus, has a novel coming out in October called The Secret Order of The Gumm Street Girls.
- One of her new characters looks strikingly like Donatella Versace.
- She majored in fashion illustration.
- She collects things (photos, clippings, reference material), sometimes for years, before she starts writing a story.
- There were more than 20 drafts for the cover design for Gumm Street over the course of three years before she and her publisher agreed on a concept.
- When she was 40 she moved back in with her parents during a period of midlist doldrums.