Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Lee Bennett Hopkins Wraps Things Up...

The final conference presentation with from literary luminary/poet Lee Bennett Hopkins. He recited poems. He had on a fabulous shirt that not many people could pull off. He made me tear up. And that was that. The SCBWI Annual Summer Conference in Los Angeles came to an end.

The only things left was the autograph party. (Hooray for cupcakes!)


Conference-goers standing in line. (Don't worry--there were plenty of cupcakes left for all of them after the autographing ended.)


John Green signing his Printz Award-winning novel Looking for Alaska (which I'm in the middle of reading right now--and it's so good.)


Erin Vincent, showing off the cover of her YA memoir Grief Girl. (In the hallway earlier in the day someone mistook me for Erin and excitedly waved me over and asked, "Are you the author of Grief Girl?!" I hope that fan of Erin's work got to talk to her at the autograph party.)


Ellen Wittlinger prepares to sign her novel Hard Love. (Notice she's got her own stack of books.)


Lisa Yee holding my copy of Millicent Min, Girl Genius. Lisa's table was my last stop (got my autographs in alphabetical order) before I hit the cupcakes.

1 comment:

Mac McCool said...

I too enjoyed Lee Bennett Hopkins closing speech (and crazy wild shirt -- I later told him, and he looked really happy!), and especially liked the delivery of the poems he read. Nice rhythm, timing of pauses. Remember? I quit taking notes to simply listen! Great voice in more ways than one! Thanks for all your notes, Alice (and photos -- I saw those!! Haha!).

"Pass on the poetry!"
:-D