Monday, October 06, 2008

This Blogging Daily Thing...

The thing about me and blogging every day is that I'm not always great at planning posts ahead of time. I saw Cynthia Leitich Smith talk at the SCBWI Conference last year and she mentioned that she has, like, a bajillion non-time-sensitive posts on deck in case she doesn't have time to do something fresh. I'm not sure she ever sleeps. Do you other bloggers out there do this? (I refer to the planning ahead thing, not the never sleeping thing.)

It's fun for me when I'm getting my CWIM newsletter together--I know I'll have a few posts to go along with it. (My October newsletter will include my Debut Author of the Month along with an editor interview and the long versions of both of will be posted here.) And later this week I'd like to get a few new CWIM book publisher listings posted here as well. (My assistant Fharris is hard at work getting a few together for you.)

There are also many days where, when I get to the office, I feel like I'll have nothing to blog about, then ten things pop into my head and/or inbox through the course of the day. Today, for example, it was my turn to post on Farmers & Writers. Having a Monday slot is sometimes tough. But I was inspired this morning by my lack of a spam filter and wrote a post with help from the spammers who continually spewed crap into my inbox every few seconds as I wrote.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

LOve your blog, you pretty much feel about blogging as i do, become a follower if you enjoy :) x

Roshni said...

Congratulations on being able to find something to blog about everyday! That just doesn't happen with me! 7 days is probably the least time I took to think of a new topic!!

holly cupala said...

After the conference, my plan was to go on blog vacation - you can see how well that turned out! (But thanks to presenter Sara Zarr for the good idea, which I really should follow).

I've found the post options/setting date-time feature to be quite useful for blogging when I have time and planning ahead. Too bad it doesn't go around and leave comments for me. :)

Miriam Forster said...

Yeah, I have a collection of random topics to write on in case I can't think of anything. But then, I only post on Wednesday and Saturday. Kudos to you for the almost-daily thing.

:-)

Kimbra Kasch said...

OMG that is one ugly picture. And, to think, I ate Spam as a kid, and whatever Mom put on the table. Bologna sandwiches, and fried spam were common. And - amazingly - I'm still here today.

Melania Szinger of WEALTH-INSPIRED BOOKS blog said...

blogging every day is great fun when creative juices just seem to flow isn't it?

http://janedoesbooks.blogspot.com/
...inspiring wealth into your life

özgürsfk said...

wery nice

Marty said...

I know what you mean about the planning your post thing. I set up a tribute to Theodor Geisel on the day of his passing (Sept 24) and could not manage to get it posted until 4 days later. Even my latest post, which contained elements from work that I had previously written, took me three days to compose. ;-P

Maureen Crisp said...

Hi Alice,
I blog once a week but this week have found myself sharing a few tips that i have gleaned from your blog...I have directed my small readership to your blog.
I am new to the blogosphere...and I would love to know
how did you upload the youtube video onto your blog...
I tried to do this with my teen(you'd think they would know...)but nothing we tried worked...
there was probably something really simple...
maureen

Stina said...

Blogging daily? That's funny. Between mothering three young children and writing a novel, who has time to blog daily. Oh, and the sleep thing. Maybe another time. But since my blog is designed to teach teens how to improve their photography skills, once a week is enough. I want to give them time to practice the tip of the week. I do, however, jot down ideas for future tips as ideas come to me.

Lisa said...

I keep a list of blog ideas, but I haven't actually written out any posts to go with them. I don't think I could handle blogging once a day. I'm new to this and had planned to shoot for once a week, but I made three posts in my first week, so I guess I'm ahead of the game.