Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Local SCBWI Meeting at the Library...


Tonight I'm attending the local meeting of SCBWI members that takes place at the Sharonville Library branch here in the Cincinnati area at 7 p.m.--I'm the group's invited guest for their October gathering.

I really enjoy attending meetings like these. It's great to reconnect with the local writers, a number of whom are published authors. I like to hear about what they're doing and discuss all things children's publishing with them.

Most of all, I love the chance to get to the library. I love the quiet, the smell of the books, the children's section, all the people reading. But must confess that I haven't been to a library since last year--the last time I spoke to a library group. I go to the bookstore all the time. (Murray and I hang out there regularly.) I buy lots of books. I get lots of books for free. I just never think about checking out a book. Does a library card expire?

I think next time Murray bugs me about going to the bookstore (he really just wants a new Thomas train and some chicken fingers from the cafe) maybe I'll take him to the library instead. He's four--he should have his own library card. The problem is, I don't think he'd be cool with the concept of giving books back. If he brought a book home, I'm sure he'd assume it's his forever. (We've been down this road with DVDs a million time. He insists, "They aren't Blockbuster's; they're mine!")

I guess it's worth a shot.

9 comments:

Miriam Forster said...

Hmmm.... A year without a library? The thought makes me shudder.

On the other hand, I'm a penniless writer who never gets books for free, so I guess I need the library.

But if I could buy the books, I would... (grin)

Jean Wogaman said...

A library card does expire if you don't use it for years, but the good news is that you can renew it for the same price you paid for it when you initially signed up.

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

hahaha...I think there's a Charlie and Lola book about that very subject...thinking the library book is hers forever. :)

I am a B&N lover, but I've also been taking the kids to the local storytime at the library since they were babies. Just recently, the library had an opening for the storyteller/children's programmer position, and I snatched it up so now I am there even more!

I love it!

Kimbra Kasch said...

It might expire but I've had the same one for ...I think 25 years. And here, in Portland, the poor library has to compete with Powells, B&N, Borders...but I still love, love, love the library.

:)

Anna M. Lewis said...

If I lived in Cincy, I would be in Joseph-Beth's 24/7... in fact, I get their newsletter.

Sharonville = old old stomping grounds

Anna M. Lewis said...

Me, again...
I did not know you referenced Joseph-Beth's in your post until I just reread it! I really would be there 24/7... I lived on Edwards Road when I was little.
Too funny.

masterymistery said...

libraries and librarians rank very high in my personal pantheon of the great bits of human culture. don't get me started on the not so great bits. They say the internet is responsible for a recent revitalisation of literacy --- I'm not so sure, but I suppose as long as we keep talking and writing and reading there is always hope.

congratulations on blogs of note

masterymistery at cosmic rapture

Alison Ashley Formento said...

The children's programs (as well as the adult programs) at most libraries are outstanding and your son is more than ready for his own library card. In our area, you can use your card at every county library, so it's a great way to meet a lot of librarians. Haven't met one yet that isn't a gem.

Michelle said...

I work at the library, and there's no better place to talk to people about what they're reading. Many library patrons come in every week, so it's fun to get to know them and what they enjoy.

Our system has a three year "expiration" on cards, but that's to alert us to update patron records if they haven't been in for a long time.