Friday, October 10, 2008

Blog of the Week:
Johanna Wright's what's new on JohannaWright.com...

In addition to a portfolio, a bio page, a link to her etsy store and other standard artist's website features, illustrator Johanna Wright offers a wonderfully visual blog on JohannaWright.com. Johanna says blogging allows the public to get to know her, feel connected with her artwork, and follow her career, wherever it may go.

"As an illustrator, a website is key. I feel like having a blog keeps people connected to my work in a way that they haven't been able to be in the past," she says. "I lived in New York for many years, and spent four of those years selling my artwork on the streets of Manhattan. Sitting on the street was a great way to connect with thousands of people, and get them interested in my art on a personal level. Now, blogging has replaced that for me. I can spend the day painting in my studio, record some of my artwork in a blog post, and still connect to more people than I have in the past."

Johanna say she feels like she's "in a really happy place creatively." Her first book, Secret Circus, is coming out with Roaring Brook Press in spring '09. Two other RBP titles she wrote and illustrated follow in 2010, Bandits and Rabbits on Skates. And she illustrated Clover Twig, by Kaye Umansky, also slated for spring 2009.


"I feel like there is a small group of blog readers that have followed my path to this place. That's so great to me! It gives me the freedom to do more of what I love to do, and spend less time trying to get people invested in what I'm creating."

If you enjoy her work and would like to keep up with what Johanna's doing, you can sign up for her email newsletter. I did--I think her style offers the perfect mix of warmth and wonder.

12 comments:

johanna said...

Alice, thank you so much for featuring me in your blog of the week! I'm thrilled!

I'm so impressed by your daily blogs.. I'll be coming back here often!

Thanks again,

*Johanna

Unknown said...

Wow!

I love Johanna's stuff and what a great web presence she has.

Looking forward to those RBP books.

And her site bio is absolutely adorable, too -- she has a cat named Grandpaw!

Luciano W said...

The Best Blog !!!

Theresa said...

Nice blog!

http://apaintersdiary.blogspot.com/

elwheelio said...

I love that cover illustration

Dakota Fields said...

How cool! I own your book--thanks for putting out such a great resource. I just found your blog on "blogs of note". Those illustrations are wonderful--I'm going to have to look for that book.

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog

Diandra Mae said...

Woot! Johanna is definitely a gem! I'm so excited for her, and cannot wait to see her art in print. Wonderful post. :)

Unknown said...

your smile is from your heart,you are pretty really because you have s good time everyday from the soul,best wishes!

k said...

the whimsical cover strikes beautiful childhood memories.

PdAnuva said...

Nice Post. Thanks for sharing.
SEO Firm

خدمات منزلية said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات الجبيل
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالقطيف