The Golden Kite Luncheon & Awards Presentation...
The conference Golden Kite Luncheon took place on Sunday (I'm posting out of order a bit--I used various notebooks that ended up in various places when I packed), during which lots of awards are given out (and I always cry).
After the food (the vegetarian dish was delish) we were entertained a capella by conference-goer Tyler McGroom, who participated in a contest involving singing during last year's event (for which I, as his table mate, got free SCBWI merch from the bookstore) and volunteered to croon once again.
Next SCBWI Illustrator Coordinator Priscilla Burris announced the winners of the portfolio showcase (which, as usual, she did a bang-up job of coordinating). Here they are:
- Best in show: Patricia Cantor (she wins a trip to New York to meet with art directors and you'll see her illustration on the cover of an upcoming SCBWI Bulletin.
- 2nd place: Ken Min
- 3rd place: Hyewon Yum
- Picturebook page winner: Stephanie Roth Sisson
The judges for the event:Left to right: Abigail Simoun, editor with Tricycle Press; Laurent Linn, art director at Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers; my favorite agent, Steven Malk of Writers House; Frieda Gates, coordinator of the annual NY Children's Illustrators Conference; and illustrator Joe Cepeda.
Next Erzsi Deak was named SCBWI member of the year--because she's awesome.
Then there was the crying...
First SCBWI showed a video tribute to the late Sue Alexander who passed away suddenly last month. Sue was a driving force behind SCBWI from the organization's inception, and the first official member. The touching words from Lin Oliver combined with a James Taylor song...tears.
And Here are the Golden Kite Winners:
- Picture Book Illustration: Yuyi Morales for Little Night (made me cry)
- Picture Book Text: Sara Pennypacker for Pierre in Love (made me cry)
- Nonfiction: Ann Bausum for Muckrackers
- Fiction: Katherine Applegate for Home of the Brave