Thursday, September 28, 2006

Children's Poet Laureate...

It was recently announced that Jack Prelutsky was named the first-ever U.S. Children's Poet Laureate. I must admit that I've never been quite sure exactly what a poet laureate does--write and promote poetry. Is there more to the job description? (I'll google it.) I also must admit that until recently, the only poetry I ever really dug was poetry written for kids. Good kids poems can be fun or silly or witty or quiet, and a joy to read out loud. Give me J. Patrick Lewis over anything they ever made me read in college any day. I find it very exciting that kids have their own specially appointed poetry guru. I hope Mr. Prelutsky can help more kids learn to appreciate poetry, not just in childhood, but for a lifetime.

Novels in verse for young readers really got me back into appreciating and loving poetry. I've even purchased a few poetry collections for grown ups (now in my nightstand stack)--a little Rumi, a little Mary Oliver, a little e e cummings. It's great before-bed reading.

No comments: