Monday, January 22, 2007

Breaking News: 2007 ALA Awards...

I just caught part of the ALA Awards webcast (the children's publishing Oscars if you will). The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron, illustrated by Matt Phelan, won the Newbery Award. The Caldecott went to David Wiesner for Flotsom. I'm working on parsing together the list of honor winners from my notes--there was a lot of applause and it was kind or hard to hear some of the names and titles. However, the ALA website said they will post a press release at 1 p.m. e.s.t.
It was really exciting to watch the announcements along with everyone at the meeting in Seattle. (Would have been more fun to be there myself, of course!)

Here's the link to all the winners as reported by Publishers Weekly.

My favorite moment as I watched the webcast: hearing Cynthia Lord's name called as a Newbery honor winner for her wonderful book Rules. Cindy is featured in the 2007 CWIM's "First Books" article. Yay!

No comments: