Wednesday, January 03, 2007

2007: My Ups and Downs So Far...

It's only a few days into the new year, and at this point I'd have to say 2007 has not been all that great. But I've decided (resolved?) to be positive this year, so I've been thinking about the good side of the things that have thus far annoyed me during the first few days of January:

  • DOWN: The new version of Blogger wiped out my visitor counter and I can't get it to work. UP: I can pretend thousands and thousands of people are reading my blog!
  • DOWN: The O.C. got cancelled just when it was getting good again. UP: One more hour of reading time each week!
  • DOWN: I got the highly unpleasant stomach flu, that, according to the local news, is "sweeping the tri-state." UP# 1: I finished a great novel while I was laid up on the sofa with my barf bowl! UP #2: My skinny pants fit this week!
  • DOWN: Global warming. UP: It's in the 60s in the Nati in January!
  • DOWN: I have pink eye and not in the eye that my hair is generally flopping over. UP: There really is no up side to conjunctivitis except that the Internet says it will go away in 3 to 5 days and I'm on day 2!
Sometimes it's tough to look on the bright side of things (even with the blatant overuse of exclamation points!). If you're a writer who's gotten material rejected or an illustrator who is not getting response to your marketing efforts, this can be particularly true. I hope in this new year you can finds some UPs when the publishing world is getting you DOWN.

Happy new year!

4 comments:

Karen Lee said...

You can count me down as one reader.

Karen

Donna Alice said...

I'm reading and laughing at your first week in January. And I thought MINE was bad when I realized I'd been washing my hair in body wash for a week and using laundry cleaner as Windex. Gotta get those new glasses.

June said...

If you need a new stat counter for beta blogger, try www.statcounter.com. It is free, has great stats, is easy to set the code, and it works fine on beta blogger!

Sorry if this seems like a spam message... just trying to help with your problem :o)

SCBWI said...

June, thanks for the tip. I installed statcounter and I really like it.