Friday, April 03, 2009

Blogger of the Week:
Tricia Stohr-Hunt, The Miss Rumphius Effect...


Tricia Stohr-Hunt, a professor in the education department at the University of Richmond, started blogging in late 2006 "because I wanted to require blogging in my spring semester class," she says. "How could I possibly ask my students to do something I wasn't doing myself? So, I jumped in. I wasn't sure what I was doing or where I was going, but before I knew it I'd been embraced by the amazing community that is the kidlitosphere."

Tricia's blog, The Miss Rumphius Effect, discusses "poetry, children's literature and issues related to teaching children and their future teachers." Below she discusses blogging, offers advice, and talks about the wonderful National Poetry Month series going on now on The Miss Rumphius Effect.

When you began blogging, what did you hope to accomplish?

My original goal for the blog is still pretty much the same. Here's what I wrote in my very first post in describing my blog's name. As for the title, I selected it because I am living my life in the shadow of Miss Rumphius and trying to live by these words:

"When I grow up, I too will go to faraway places, and when I grow old, I too will live beside the sea."

That is all very well, little Alice," said her grandfather, "but there is a third thing you must do."

"What is that?" asked Alice.


"You must do something to make the world more beautiful," said her grandfather.


"All right," said Alice. But she did not know what that could be.

Miss Rumphius planted lupines, but I want to do so much more. What could that be? Like young Alice, I still do not know. When I find the answer, I'll let you know.

I also blog because I need to write. Given the technical, academic and oftentimes very boring stuff I must write for work, I need an outlet for all the other stuff kicking around in my brain.

What makes your blog unique? What types of posts will readers find there?

I wish I could put my finger on what makes my blog different. There are so many great blogs that do much of what I do and do it more eloquently and more often. Perhaps what makes it unique is that it does a little of this and a little of that. Folks interested in writing will find poetry prompts. Teachers, librarians and homeschoolers will find thematic book lists for connecting the curriculum using children's literature. There are also book reviews, though I focus heavily on nonfiction and poetry.

Do you offer any regular features?

I begin each week with a series called the Monday Poetry Stretch. I describe a poetic form or suggest a topic for folks to write about. Sometimes I provide links to additional information or include sample poems. Folks go off and write their poems and then let me know about them. Some writers leave their poems in the comments, while others post the poems on their blogs. Near the end of the week I post the results. A recent example, and one of my favorite stretches to date, was to write a personal ad poem. Click here to read the results.

I started doing these stretches during the summer of 2007 and folks really seem to like them. Every so often a published author/poet (or two or three) will stop by and participate. Some folks write for adults, others for kids. I write whatever moves me, though it's usually for kids and almost always related to science.

How are you
celebrating National Poetry month on The Miss Rumphius Effect?

Last year for National Poetry Month I wrote a series called Poetry in the Classroom. Every day I posted a review of a book or set of related books of poetry. In addition to the reviews I offered suggestions for using the books in the classroom and provided links to additional resources. I loved doing it, but wanted to do something different this year.

My 2009 series is called Poetry Makers. In choosing a project I decided that I wanted to learn more about children's poets and what motivates them. In February I wrote to 38 poets with the hope that 30 would agree to a brief interview so that I could feature one each day. To my sheer delight, 36 said yes! I put the same set of questions to each writer, and even though the questions are a bit prosaic, their answers are not. I have been moved and inspired by their views on writing, their muses, and of course, their poetry. I know readers of the posts will feel the same way.

What's your advice for new bloggers?

The best advice I can give is to write about a topic that for which you have a passion. That choice alone will give your blog staying power. Once you know what you want to write about, stay true to your own voice. A strong voice and sense of who I'm reading keeps me going back to certain blogs.

I'm also a big believer in developing community. Blogging is about sharing your thoughts and ideas and seeing how they are received by others. To develop a readership you need to comment on other blogs. Once you start making your presence known on other blogs, folks will find their way to yours.

11 comments:

tess said...

So glad to have found this blog through the Miss Rumphius Effect.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Wonderful interview! I am always amazed at the depth and breadth of Trisha's posts. I don't know how she has the time to keep doing such a fabulous job on her blog and keep up with everything else.

Also I have to say I would be lost without the Monday Poetry Stretch.

tanita davis said...

Yay! Thank you for also celebrating the awesome that is Miss Rumphius!

laurasalas said...

Great interview! I've been reading the Miss Rumphius Effect for quite a while and have even worked on a couple of group poetry projects with Tricia. Thanks for giving me a sense of the big picture!

Love the advice to blog about something you're passionate about. Such a great starting place.

And hurray for Monday Stretches and Poetry Makers!

Tricia said...

Thanks, Alice, for featuring me. I enjoyed it and am so grateful for the selection.

Carol Baicker-McKee said...

I love your blog, and I apologize for butting in with a non sequitur comment.

I'm a children’s book writer and illustrator. I’m on a mission to save vintage children's books, and I'm trying to alert all the people who might care about them. Under a new U.S. law that went into effect in February (the CPSIA or toy lead law), it is now illegal to sell or give away (and technically also distribute from a library) any children's books printed in 1984 or earlier (with an exception for a small number of adult-only collectibles). The problem is that prior to 1985, there was sometimes a small amount of lead in the inks used to print books - but most books are lead-free and those that aren't are only dangerous to people who eat them. Nonetheless, there is no way to tell if a book is lead-free without using digestive testing, which is both expensive and destroys the book, so the old books aren't supposed to be sold.

You can learn more about this law and how it affects children's books at overlawyered.com, bookroomblog.com, heartkeepercommonroom.blogspot.com, amendthecpsia.com, and my blog, doodlesandnoodles.blogspot.com, as well as from articles in Publisher's Weekly (here's the link to the most recent article about it - you can get to their others from it: http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6648646.html?nid=2788)

Sorry for such a long, intrusive post. But if more people don't join the fight, old books are just going to gradually fade away. Congress so far is not interested in making any changes to the law.

Thanks.

宜蘭民宿 said...

優良的LED工廠所生產的LED,是世界品質第一的LED
裡面的員工都是穿著制服,裡面的室內設計也很優,初二十六要去香舖買香拜拜,led的網站設計空間設計更優,老板也要結婚了,所以找了婚禮錄影
婚禮顧問內的室內設計創業加盟的那一間好多了,結婚玩要去有名的天堂鳥宜蘭民宿玩,是在宜蘭民宿
沒錢就去汽車借款來玩好了

車燈來看看唷!
情趣用品對一般人來說充滿神秘動人的吸引力,許多人想一窺情趣用品究竟,卻又不敢太過接近,因為這個領域充斥著謠言與標籤、讓許多人深怕一碰及就會讓別人投射以異樣的眼光看待。

如果大家稍微留意一下,不難可以發現一些事,大多人在逛街時對每一間情趣用品用品店的櫥窗都會向內張望後姍姍離去,有一些人卻是假裝目不斜視的走過。畢竟台灣人的觀念並沒有像國外一樣的開放,所以還無法很公開與光明正大的踏進情趣用品去選購一些情趣用品
 
利用網路購物的方式去選購情趣用品是相當方便的一件事情,可以從網頁上獲得商品的詳細介紹而不必害羞的去詢問店員商品的使用方法,並且在商品的介紹上面也不亞於從店員那獲得的資訊,有些甚至還更詳細一些。
 
在台灣有許多情趣用品訂購網站,從以前只有少樣的情趣用品用品到今日數百種的情趣用品看來,這種促進閨房之樂的東西已經漸漸地為人們所接受與喜愛。

但以目前的市場來說,絕大部分的情趣用品網站皆以銷售台灣、大陸製造的情趣用品居多。原因很簡單:成本低廉,卻也因此犧牲了品質和安全性!情趣用品是直接與自己和最親密的另一半的身體接觸,為了節省一點點的金錢而選擇品質粗糙的廉價黑心情趣用品,實為相當不智的選擇。

a片是一種藝術,媽媽說未滿十八不能看a片,看到很多人在做SEO排名沒有一定的規則,seoseo是什麼

我想買一台二手車來開,車行的室內設計很優
我家的室內設計很差,led自行車燈很亮
我家在新竹搬家公司要打哪隻電話才能搬家,室內設計做最好的又是哪家
搞不懂網路行銷是什麼!這麼多人在搞說



因為付不起二胎房貸,所以被迫在台北搬家的十種簡單方法
躲去清境民宿就沒人找的到人,快找搬家公司徹夜搬家,旁邊還有人拿加油棒替我加油XD!把室內設計也通通搬光好了!反正這家的室內設計設計的很棒照明也很優,好了上網找台北搬家公司服務最好,開著車向前去吧車燈來看看唷! 

Lee Wind said...

Great interview, and Miss Rumphius Effect is a great blog!
Thanks for sharing about it,
Namaste,
Lee

fgeegf said...

情色電影, aio交友愛情館, 言情小說, 愛情小說, 色情A片, 情色論壇, 色情影片, 視訊聊天室, 免費視訊聊天, 免費視訊, 視訊美女, 視訊交友, ut聊天室, 視訊聊天, 免費視訊聊天室, a片下載, av片, A漫, av dvd, av成人網, 聊天室, 成人論壇, 本土自拍, 自拍, A片, 愛情公寓, 情色, 舊情人, 情色貼圖, 情色文學, 情色交友, 色情聊天室, 色情小說, 一葉情貼圖片區, 情色小說, 色情, 色情遊戲, 情色視訊, 情色電影, aio交友愛情館, 色情a片, 一夜情, 辣妹視訊, 視訊聊天室, 免費視訊聊天, 免費視訊, 視訊, 視訊美女, 美女視訊, 視訊交友, 視訊聊天, 免費視訊聊天室, 情人視訊網, 影音視訊聊天室, 視訊交友90739, 成人影片, 成人交友,

免費A片, 本土自拍, AV女優, 美女視訊, 情色交友, 免費AV, 色情網站, 辣妹視訊, 美女交友, 色情影片, 成人影片, 成人網站, A片,H漫, 18成人, 成人圖片, 成人漫畫, 情色網, 日本A片, 免費A片下載, 性愛, 成人交友, 嘟嘟成人網, 成人電影, 成人, 成人貼圖, 成人小說, 成人文章, 成人圖片區, 免費成人影片, 成人遊戲, 微風成人, 愛情公寓, 情色, 情色貼圖, 情色文學, 做愛, 色情聊天室, 色情小說, 一葉情貼圖片區, 情色小說, 色情, 寄情築園小遊戲, 色情遊戲, 情色視訊,

uhfdf said...

美女脫光光的照片,美女寫真天蠶變下載,蠟筆小新影片,18成人網,自拍寫真,熟女情色貼圖,卡通美女裸體漫畫,176視訊聊天,免費線上影片,台灣美女寫真集圖片館,小魔女貼影片,小弟弟影片,內衣被拿下來的美女,夢工廠成人影音網站,真實做愛照片,檳榔西施清涼秀,xyz辣妹影音聊天網,熊貓成人貼,金瓶梅成人影片交流區,免費情色電影下載,午夜成人,娘家影片,情色小說,免費網路電視,本土自拍貼圖,聊天室avooo,av片,85cc免費影城,台灣自拍寫真照片館,情色圖書館,免費a圖a片,比基尼辣妹影片,拓網交友,台灣人情色貼圖區,正妹圖片,

自拍偷窺貼圖區,視訊交友90739,內衣美女寫真,維克斯論壇,av片,本土自拍照片,176視訊聊天,聊天,搜樂論壇,交友聊天室,無名正妹強力版,109辣妹自拍,檳榔西施自拍照片,kijiji奇集集,pc交友,愛情公寓聊天室,珠海自拍寫真,ut女同聊天室,735聊天室,情色小站,免費情色小說,小瓢蟲論壇,金瓶梅情色文學,後宮電影案,69成人,自拍美女聊天室,聊天ukiss tw,小弟第貼影片,熟女裸體貼圖,kavo,ut 聊天室,後宮色情電影,a片天堂,a片影片,淫蕩少女貼圖,丁字褲美女影片,麗的情色,視訊聊天,人妻自拍貼圖,免費看aa片,

Scottie said...

21
生活關鍵字:系統櫃 旅館 除白蟻 老酒收購 SEO 老酒 扭力板手 納豆 倉儲物流 瘦小腿 百達翡麗 勞力士 牙醫診所 整形

22
熱門關鍵字:整形 眼袋 隆鼻 隆乳 拉皮 SEO 抽脂 雙眼皮 玻尿酸 果凍矽膠 熱水器 瑜珈課程 整形 電波拉皮 植睫毛

23
好康關鍵字:隔熱紙 大樓隔熱紙 老酒收購 老酒 白蟻 除蟲 香港平價住宿 隔熱紙 民宿 大陸新娘 外籍新娘 牙齒美白 SEO 眼袋 公仔

24
新聞關鍵字:整形 電波拉皮 植髮 雷射溶脂 男性結紮 SEO 泌尿科 宜蘭民宿 系統傢俱 系統櫃 老酒 牙齒美白 植牙 隆鼻 公仔製作 公仔模型