Thursday, November 15, 2007

National Book Award and Other Stuff...

  • The National Book Awards were recently given and Sherman Alexie won in the Young People's Literature category for his first foray into YA, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian. (Little, Brown). This is cool. I like Sherman Alexie and have read a number of his books for adults. I was keeping my fingers crossed for Kathleen Duey, though, and I'm bummed she didn't win for A Resurrection of Magic: Skin Hunger. But it's cool that her book gets a silver finalist sticker and I'm showing her cover in this post and not Alexie's. (I hope you found the right shoes for the ceremony, Kathleen. Zappos seldom does me wrong.)
  • The New York Times Book Review recently published a special section on children's books (which features a review of Alexie's aforementioned award-winner). You can find it here. Be sure to click on The Best Illustrated Books of 2007 for a wonderful slideshow.
  • I can't stop watching Gossip Girl. Oh I love that Chuck Bass. Anyone else think he's Logan Huntsberger with a healthy dose of 1980s James Spader?
  • I've been light on the blogging lately--busy, busy pre-holiday stuff. And I'm off work all next week, eating pumpkin pie and whatnot, so my blog will be pretty quiet. After the holiday, I'll be back with more updates to listings in the 2008 CWIM. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Brian Mandabach said...

I'm happy for Alexie, too, becuase he's a great writer, though I haven't read this book yet.

Also Denis Johnson, whose Jesus' Son is linked in my mind to Alexie's The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven because they're both these incredibly interwoven story collections.

adme said...


Fantastic. Get nursing homework help from essay help. Please be sure to find me and say hello! I'm excited you're coming!!