Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Looking Back on CWIM: The 2000 Edition
An Interview with S.E. Hinton...


This edition of CWIM saw the addition of Agents & Art Reps and section devoted to SCBWI Conferences. Among the publishing professionals interviewed: Caldecott Winner Jacqueline Briggs Martin; Allyn Johnston, then editor at Harcourt (who now has her own S&S imprint, Beach Lane Books); YA novelist Francesca Lia Block; SCBWI Executive Director Lin Oliver; Writers House agent Steven Malk; and more than half a dozen others including a feature with the iconic author of The Outsiders, S.E. Hinton who at the time was coming out with her first picture book.

Here's an excerpt from the Q&A by Anne Bowling:

You were 15 when you started writing The Outsiders, and wrote 4 full drafts for the next year and a half before you had the manuscript. Did you have a mentor at that time, or was someone guiding your revisions?
No. I love to write. Actually, The Outsiders was the third book I had written, it was just the first one I had tried to publish. The first two ended up in drawers somewhere--I used characters from them later in other books, but I certainly didn't go back and rework them. Everybody's got to practice.

When I was writing The Outsiders I would go to school and say "Well, I'm writing a book, and this has happened so far, and what should happen next?," 'cause I'd get stuck. Someone would say, "Oh, make the church burn down." And I'd say, "That sounds good, I'll make the church burn down." I was just doing it because I liked doing it.

Because there was very little being published at that time for young adults that included such violent content and emotional depth, were you concerned at all that the book was really pushing the envelope?

No, I wasn't. One reason I wrote it was I wanted to read it. I couldn't find anything that dealt realistically with teenage life. I've always been a good reader, but I wasn't ready for adult books, they didn't interest me, and I was through with all the horse books. If you wanted to read about your peer group, there was nothing to read except Mary Jane Goes to the Prom or Billy Joe Hits a Home Run--just a lot of stuff I didn't see any relevance in.

I know I've been banned in places, but I've gotten so many letters from kids who say, "After reading your books, I realize how stupid violence is." I've never had a kid write me and say, "I read your book, got all hopped up and ran out and beat up someone."

In retrospect, how do you regard your writing ability at the time you worked on The Outsiders?

When I do glance at it again, I'm kind of surprised by that, too. But from grade school on I knew I wanted to be a writer, and I read all the time, and I practiced, and the only way you're going to be a writer is to read all the time and then do it. So I was doing the right things.

I feel differently about The Outsiders than I do my other books. I'm really proud of it, because it's done a lot of good--much more than my personal capacity for doing good could ever be--and I'm really pleased with it that way. I almost don't even think of myself as having anything to do with it. It was almost kind of like it was supposed to be out there, and I was just the way it got there.

While you were writing, were you consciously concerned with elements like, plot, pacing, characterization, dialogue?

Oh no, no, no. I tell people to try to not ever think that. Because that'll freeze you up so badly. So much of my writing is done in subconsciousness, I keep working on a way to take a nap and find a chapter done. But don't think about what you're doing, just keep your story going. Years later somebody's going to write you a letter and tell you what you wrote about. So don't worry about that part of it.

26 comments:

Scottie said...

28
新聞關鍵字:塑膠棧板 塑膠棧板 抓漏工程 跳蚤 宜蘭民宿 網頁設計 香港旅館 大陸新娘 大陸新娘 大陸新娘 植髮 瑜珈 設計 雙眼皮 公仔製作 公仔模型

29
生活關鍵字:整形外科 隆鼻 抽脂 整形 雙眼皮 網頁設計 隆鼻 電波拉皮 眼袋 室內設計 植髮 植牙 瘦小腿 玻尿酸

30
熱門關鍵字:香港民宿 香港旅館 香港平價住宿 滅鼠 跳蚤 網頁設計 除蟲公司 老酒 老酒收購 回頭車 貨運公司 植牙 住宿 果凍矽膠 植睫毛

Unknown said...

Hey…!!! I am really impressed with your post… really interesting..thanks…
Asia Pacific Offset

Unknown said...

Nice!!!

ASIA PACIFIC OFFSET
http://www.asiapacificoffset.com/
ASIA PACIFIC OFFSET provides a first class mock-up service and a high quality press proofing service that combines the best craftsmanship and the latest technology

Unknown said...

Nice!!!

ASIA PACIFIC OFFSET
http://www.asiapacificoffset.com/
ASIA PACIFIC OFFSET provides a first class mock-up service and a high quality press proofing service that combines the best craftsmanship and the latest technology

Unknown said...

Hardback Printing,Square Back Hardcover in Printing China.
http://www.lprinting.net/list/?6_1.html

Anonymous said...

thanks your info
obat polip hidung

rdimas390 said...

Your article really gave me the inspiration to further the spirit of living life.
Suplemen Untuk Pertumbuhan Anak

Unknown said...

I really like this section of the article. with a nice and interesting topic has helped a lot of people who don't challenge things that people should know, You need Let me keep this page. - Download Google Chrome 2015 Latest Version

RatnaSuci said...

Obat Kuat Ereksi Dan Tahan Lama DiRanjang

Obat Alami Mani Encer

Penyebab Obesitas dan cara mengatasinya

Obat Penambah IQ Anak

Obat Penyakit ISPA Anak dan Dewasa

Obat herbal alami flek paru

Obat penyakit maag yang sudah terlalu parah

Unknown said...

thank you very useful information
Cara Mengobati Kesemutan

Unknown said...

thank you very useful information
Cara Mengobati Encok

Credit Loan Solution said...

Are you tired of seeking loans and Mortgages,have you been turned down constantly By your banks and other financial institutions,We offer any form of loan to individuals and corporate bodies at low interest rate.If you are interested in taking a loan,feel free to contact us today,we promise to offer you the best services ever.Just give us a try,because a trial will convince you.What are your Financial needs?Do you need a business loan?Do you need a personal loan?Do you want to buy a car?Do you want to refinance?Do you need a mortgage loan?Do you need a huge capital to start off your business proposal or expansion? Have you lost hope and you think there is no way out, and your financial burdens still persists? Contact us (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

Your Name:...............
Your Country:...............
Your Occupation:...............
Loan Amount Needed:...............
Loan Duration...............
Monthly Income:...............
Your Telephone Number:.....................
Business Plan/Use Of Your Loan:...............
Contact Us At : gaincreditloan1@gmail.com

haritha said...

Wow, Such a great Blog. I thought that it was exceptionally helpful. I discovered this which exceptionally utilizes full. Extraordinary article and data continue sharing more! Love your blog. Heap of Thanks.

React js online training

shankarjaya said...

I found your blog while searching for the updates, I am happy to be here. Very useful content and also easily understandable providing.. Believe me I did wrote an post about tutorials for beginners with reference of your blog.
Salesforce Training in Chennai

Salesforce Online Training in Chennai

Salesforce Training in Bangalore

Salesforce Training in Hyderabad

Salesforce training in ameerpet

Salesforce Training in Pune

Salesforce Online Training

Salesforce Training

hookstefan said...

primary homework help Service is a dug in and prominent name in giving stunning on the web task Help administrations to understudies.

http://powerbitrainings.in/powerbi-training-institute-in-hyderabad/ said...

Thank you for sharing the article. The data that you provided in the blog is informative and effective.

Power Bi Training in Hyderabad

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the article. The data that you provided in the blog is informative and effective.

DevOps Training in Hyderabad

Amrita Bansal said...

Thank you for taking the time and sharing this information with us. It was indeed very helpful and insightful while being straight forward and to the point.

Devops Training in Gurgaon
Docker Kubernetes training in Gurgaon

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the article. The data that you provided in the blog is informative and effective.

Servicenow Training in Hyderabad

R1se Hluoluo said...

Berada di Dusun Eka Tiro, pantai Ujung Tiro mempunyai pemandangan ciri khas rekreasi alam Bulukumba yakni kombinasi serasi di https://spotwisataunik.com/ antara laut dan tebing koral. Kondisi laut yang bersebelahan langsung dengan tebing batu membuat pantai ini tidak mempunyai garis pantai berbentuk pasir.

ravi said...

nice post thanks for sharing nice blog if like read more visit it https://duckcreektraining.com/

Valentines Day Wishes 2021 said...

this is a pounding blog. I wind it. you have such a lot of mastery about this depend, and as a repercussion a ton enthusiasm. You further to know a method for making individuals rally toward the back it, clearly from the reactions. MS Office 2016 With Crack

Syedhaseebulhassan said...

Glorious web site! I love the way it is straightforward upon my eyes it's far. I'm contemplating the way in which I might be prompted whenever another conspicuous screen has been made. glancing through out extra new updates. Have a colossal extensive stretches of significant stretches of light hours!! Birthday Wishes For Son In Law

TRONIX said...

Really interesting to read your article, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us

Java training institution in Hyderabad

vcube said...

We appreciate you sharing this important information with us.
Aws Training in hyderabad

vv software said...

nice blog Good information thanks for sharing keep posting more
Python full stack training institute in KPHB