Friday, August 14, 2009

Upcoming Writer's Digest Conferences...

While I'm still enjoying an nice buzz from the LA SCBWI conference (visit the conference blog if you haven't already), I thought I'd mention a few upcoming Writer's Digest events that will get me high on publishing once again.



First up is the Writer's Digest Conference: The Business of Getting Published which takes place in New York September 18-20 at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. This conference focuses on marketing and promotion, career building, and social networking, and also includes a poetry slam, manuscript critiques, breakfast discussions, a great lineup of speakers (including WD editors), and a smashing location in New York City. (I'll be heading there straight from the beach, so look for the darker pink, well-rested version of me.)

Next up is our latest Writer's Digest Editors' Intensive which takes place October 3-4 at our Writer's Digest HQ here in the Nati and features a day of informational sessions and panels offered by WD editors (including yours truly), an evening mingling event, and a day of manuscript critiques.
I always feel like attending a conference is like playing while you're working hard. You spend a few days taking in endless amounts of useful information, but also enjoying the networking and social aspect of being in a room full of like-minded people. I think it's glorious.

8 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

I am SORRY I missed it! I really enjoyed the one in NYC!

And had plenty to blog about afterwards!


I'll go check out your notes.........

Shelli said...

i so wish I could do this! I am speaking on marketing at Midsouth that weekend :)

Weronika said...

I have an award for you, Alice -- thanks for your informative posts.

BJW said...

You have been dubbed. Jaime Temairik nominated you. : )

yours,
Ben Watson

PS I hope it's okay i swiped your avatar pic for it. If not I'll take it off. thanks

Shelli said...

will you be blogging/tweeting during the conference?? :) hope so

Meme Ruiz said...

Hello I Have been following your wonderful Blog for some time now and wanted to say great Job!!

I also wanted to extend an invitation to you to check out and follow my blog as well: http://definedsentences.blogspot.com

You wont be disappointed...its worth the time.

Thanks in advance

Tiffany Rosenhan said...

Hi Alice,

I have been reading your blog since I heard you speak back in June in Lexington, KY. I will be attending the writers conference in September (my first one!) and am looking forward to it. I have a finished young adult novel that I began submitting a few weeks ago. Several agents have requested manuscripts and I know they will be in attendance. Is it appropriate to introduce myself to them? And how?

Alice said...

Tiffany, I think it's definitely appropriate to introduce yourself to the agents who have requested your manuscript. I'd just be simple and direct. Something like this: "Hi, I'm Tiffany Rosenhan. You requested my manuscript 'Name of Story' after I queried you last month. I won't take up too much of your time--just wanted to meet you in person while I had to chance." The agent may or may not strike up a conversation. But if you're polite and not intrusive, that will make a good impression.

Please be sure to find me and say hello! I'm excited you're coming!!