Tuesday, March 03, 2009

SCBWI 2009 Golden Kite Winners Announced
Plus: Introducing SCBWI Team Blog!...


Here's some exciting breaking news...

The 2009 Golden Kite Winners!

Fiction: Down Sand Mountain by Steve Watkins (Candlewick)

Nonfiction: A Life in the Wild: George Schaller's Struggle to Save the Last Great Beasts by Pamela S. Turner (Farrar, Straus and Giroux)

Picture Book Text: A Visitor for Bear by Bonny Becker, illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton (Candlewick)

Picture Book Illustration: Last Night illustrated and written by Hyewon Yum (Farrar, Straus and Giroux)


Golden Kite Honor Recipients:

Fiction: The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Henry Holt)

Nonfiction: The Mysterious Universe: Supernovae, Dark Energy, and Black Holes by Ellen Jackson, photographed by Nic Bishop (Houghton Mifflin)

Picture Book Text: Before John Was a Jazz Giant by Carole Boston Weatherford, illustrated by Sean Qualls (Henry Holt)

Picture Book Illustration: I Love My New Toy illustrated and written by Mo Willems (Hyperion)

In addition to cash grants of $2,500, SCBWI's Golden Kite winners receive an expense-paid trip to Los Angeles to attend the awards ceremony at the Golden Kite Luncheon during the SCBWI Summer Conference in August. Editors of the winning books are recognized as well.

And speaking of the summer conference...

After I successfully live blogged SCBWI's New York event in February (thanks to all of you who visited the conference blog), I've been invited to do the same for the Los Angeles event in August. And because LA is too big for little ol' me to cover alone, I've assembled a crack team of energetic and enthusiastic bloggers to help. SCBWI Team Blog will cover the LA events, live blogging session and festivities (with a little Twitter thrown in for good measure).

SCBWI Team Blog members are Jolie Stekly, Jaime Temairik, Paula Yoo, Suzanne Young, and Lee Wind who are also giving their readers the scoop on the Golden Kite winners.

I've added a special SCBWI Team Blog links list to my blog (look to your right) and between now and the conference Team Blog members will, from time to time, offer insider info, interviews and general conference scoop on our individual blogs--so visit them, bookmark them and/or follow them. (At conference time we'll all contribute to one Official Conference Blog). Big fun! I'm very excited.

10 comments:

Suzanne Young said...

Um, hi. I just wanted to say YAY. Thanks!

Congrats to all the winners!

Cuppa Jolie said...

I'm buzzed about being part of SCBWI Team Blog and so excited for all the winners!

Angie Frazier said...

Congrats to all the winners, and I can't wait to read the conference blogs!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Hurray! With you as our team captain, Alice, we're gonna ROCK the SCBWI house!!!

Whoo-Hoo!

Sherry Dale Rogers said...

Yes congrats, I can't wait to read either.

Vodka Mom said...

Damn- I was SO hoping to blog from there- "Tales from Vodkamom"

:-)

Vodka Mom said...

and congrats to the winners!!! (I was too busy thinking about ME and forget to think of THEM. ha. )

Jaime Temairik said...

Yippee! Thank you so much, Alice!

Stina said...

This is great news. Now I can attend and not worry about taking notes. The blog team will do a much better job. Trust me on that one.

Steve Watkins said...

Hi Alice,

I'm Steve Watkins. My book Down Sand Mountain just won the Golden Kite Award for Fiction, and my agent, Kelly Sonnack, with the Andrea Brown Agency, said I should introduce myself to you (and other SCBWI/YA/children's lit) bloggers, and see if you'd be interested in doing a Q&A/blog posting/online conversation with me about Sand Mountain, the award, life in the laundry room, where I have my writing desk strategically positioned next to the washer and drier and dog dishes. Anyway, I'm a little embarrassed to be pitching myself in this way, but as I am under orders from Kelly, must comply. Hope all is well in CWIMland.

Best regards,

Steve Watkins